- Have LOTS of fun without spending money other than food and entertaining! Booked several play dates and a sleep over for my nephew. This isn’t about removing yourself from life but enjoying it fully (and getting us back on track at the same time).
- De-clutter the house – removed and donated a few bags of “stuff”.
- Sold a few large items and generated $295. This $ will be used to finish off the family room and paint Emma’s Room.
- Take a big sigh of relief. Time to enjoy what is truly important in life without having to live up to expectations. Embrace the reality of our situation.
- Food and Groceries (see below)
- Diapers – We are starting with over a full box of diapers. We will not make it through the whole month with this supply. Diapers = necessary
- We have a full pantry of brew your own pantry beer/wine stock (as I said hardly suffering)!
- We aren’t eating canned beans. We have made paninis and fries, ham and veggies, pizza, a “chop” salad with ham, eggs and cheese. Yum! Muffins and granola bars for snack times at play dates. This really is not suffering or sacrificing!
The Grocery Trip – The Return of the 2-week Grocery Cycle
Due to January No Spend Month, I decided it would be helpful to get back on track and only grocery shop every 2 weeks (aside from an emergency stock up on bananas if required and of course milk would be permitted)!
It should not be an issue since I have tried to meal plan 14 meals and have a few items on hand for unexpected lunch or dinner guests. We have people over quite often and I want to continue to do so. I also made sure to have baking supplies to make cookies, muffins or homemade granola bars for snack times or desserts.
The basic shopping list looked something like this:
12L of Milk
14L of Rice Milk
2 bunches of bananas
4lbs of appples
3 loaves of bread (more can be made if necessary)
2 bricks of cheese
10lbs of carrot (soup)
several pantry items
raisins/chopped nuts/sunflower seeds/dates
gluten free mixes to bake and freeze muffins and brownies for younger son
Grand Total = $199.48
*I will need to buy gluten-free bread at the local bakery when they have more available since I keep FAILING at making it! It has the worst consistency! The potato and rice flour bread available at our local bakery/deli is much more palatable.*
- Walmart had a big organization sale with totes and storage containers for $5. I would have loved to stock up…
- My back hurts. I thought about booking a massage. Is it still spending if you get re-imbursed through health coverage? Update: It was hurting to breathe. Chiropractic and Massage Appointments $116 less health coverage and health spending account savings = $0 from monthly budget.
Let’s hope this isn’t too painful!
Sarah & Family
Note: A couple of incidents of outside of our house spending occurred that indeed helped us.
Thank you for the gifts of powerade & gingerale that was dropped off to my sick husband from my mother-in-law. Very helpful since I did not have to drag all three kids to store including 2 sick ones.
Thank you Jina for a box of size six diapers!
Thank you Dawn for my coffee. No more Tim’s for the month…I feel that I cheated! xoxo